Wednesday, October 14, 2020

THE OPEN SOCIETY AFFIRMED!

A shrine to the Open Society
From GAA President/ex-officio Trustee Janney Wilson
:

"The administration reviewed your concerns and the Academy Archives Policy. Following further consideration of the Policy, the restriction on searching and accessing The Exonian in the online archives will be lifted."

The speedy attention is most appreciated!

I am gratified by the alumni communities' strong affirmation of our commitment to open, unfettered inquiry. 

This is an occasion for our appreciation of our shared values despite differences.

I'll have more to say about all this in time. But I wanted to immediately acknowledge the administration's response.

I have also reached out to Academy Librarian Gail Scanlon and Magee Lawhorn, Head of Archives & Special Collections, to see about moving forward with the project I mentioned - gathering the stories behind the stories at The Exonian. I look forward to joining fellow alumni Exonian writers, editors and photographers to remember our efforts.

Finally, from the April 27, 1979 Exonian - my very first opinion piece. After a lifetime of writing such things both under my own byline and as a hired gun ghosting for others, I'm amazed to see how I haven't changed a bit. 

Here, I am chastened by my own youthful counsel. As Nietzsche observes, “Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster. For when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”
***

PS: Somewhere, I have a lovely, handwritten note from Principal Steve Kurtz responding to this. That is just the sort of ephemera that needs to be preserved in The Exonian archives! 


###

Tips? Suggestions? Comments?  Drop a line to: contact (at) ExeterUnafraid (dot) com


No comments:

Post a Comment