Wednesday, June 12, 2019

MISSION, MINDSET & MOXIE

Poster in my faculty apartment, 1991
Time to clearly define the why, who & what.

As I see it, the Academy's current leadership, particularly in regard to its response to sexual assaults on campus, has demonstrated time-and-again that the institution is out of integrity.

As a third-generation alumnus and former faculty member, my respect for and commitment to the Academy and the ideals it represents runs deep. I am unwillingly compelled to now serve as the loyal opposition. Some may seek to cast me as an enemy instead. That I categorically reject.

The open minded will appreciate what is revealed here. My hope is that, once exposed, the current leadership will surrender to reality and the consequences it brings. A new kind of leadership will finally come, bringing the possibility for fundamental, necessary change.

Exeter Unafraid's mission:

To help restore and invigorate Phillips Exeter Academy's integrity. With that, begin the process of renewing and reinventing the institution's Non Sibi ethos for the 21st century.

Yesterday, today & tomorrow

It has been a century since Lewis Perry, the legendary head of school, transformed the institution. In my grandfather's day, before his arrival, the Academy was just another New England boarding school. By my father's class in 1940, the Harkness revolution was in full swing. This was the visionary education for The Greatest Generation. By the 1970's, the advent of coeducation in the wake of the Civil Rights era carried John Phillip's call to serve "youth from every quarter" forward. Now, it has been realized in a widely diverse, multiethnic, multiracial, international, interfaith student body.

Meanwhile, over the last forty years, the egalitarian ethos of The Greatest Generation has evaporated
1980 - the turning point
along with the middle class. Today, the American Experiment in self-rule has devolved into what is essentially an oligarchy as income inequity runs rampant, tearing the very fabric of society apart. Meanwhile, non-sustainable practices that generated the wealth cannot persist. The entire civilization is at risk in the onslaught of climate change as we find ourselves in the midst of the sixth mass extinction on the planet. In that this is self-imposed, it seems that we are, at best, self-destructive if not suicidal.

What is the function of an elite institution like the Phillips Exeter Academy in such circumstances?

The kind of selflessness, Non Sibi, modeled by the current leadership for Exeter students seems a reflection of the times. Following the changes in economic policy, taxation, and the social contract, Trickledown Non Sibi is about pursuing self-enrichment first. Then, charitable pursuits become the ultimate status symbol of the extraordinarily prosperous. In some ways, this echoes the Academy's Calvinist roots. Wealth is seen as the mark of virtue and salvation.

As we consider such an understanding of values, of worth, consider:

Is it a measure of excellence to be highly successful in a self-destructive society?

More specifically:

Is the actual function of the institution to enable the emerging oligarchy? Are we training students to serve a machine manufacturing environmental collapse - and along with it, our own demise?

Seen from this perspective, the need for accomplishing this project's mission is evident.

The Historic Imperative

My mission here is forward-seeking. But there is also an essential historic value, too. From the preface to my report to Academy leadership in 2016, A Sexual Predator at Exeter: Context & Consequences:

...As turbulent and difficult the current circumstances are, I feel it is important to appreciate how this material is historically and culturally significant. It should be preserved - and even made public at the appropriate time. Whether-or-not the Academy has the strength to be fully open about what happened....the full record (if it remains) provides an invaluable window to social historians, cultural anthropologists and others interested in seeing the inner workings of a narcissistic organization. Exeter is a community that, writ small, mirrors the larger culture. Those wanting to understand the generation just past will find this of extraordinary value.

Since submitting my report to the Academy's leadership in the Summer of 2016, subsequent events suggest this to be of more than historic interest. Of course, narcissism has become part of the national discussion. Sadly, there appears to be continuity from the events in the 1990's detailed in my study to today. The systemic issues that seemed to define PEA then apparently persist.

The upshot is that I am mindful of the need to create an authenticated record of these experiences. In time, I hope this will be deemed worthy to be entered into the Academy archives. Those who will enjoy access that I am currently denied to records there (faculty & Trustee minutes, etc.) will hopefully be able to settle whatever disputed points of fact there may be. In addition, I will be mapping out for future researchers where they might look for key information.  I hope the entire record will remain extant for future examination should anyone take an interest long after our era is all but forgotten.

Ethics, objectivity & a few caveats

I would do poorly in my mission to restore and invigorate integrity without demonstrating my own. 

I cannot claim the requisite objectivity to serve as a traditional journalist here. Still, I am a member of the Society of Professional Journalists as well as Investigative Reporters & Editors. So, as a "citizen journalist," I adhere to the SPJ's Code of Ethics. The code has, in fact, been updated in the past few years to extend the definition of "journalist" to endeavors like this. Anyone who takes issue with anything here should consult the code and feel free to raise objections in its terms.

Note that, beyond the SPJ Code, I am scrupulous in protecting the privacy of minors. No student's identity either past or present will be explicitly exposed without expressed prior consent. 

All that & a bottle of pop
Also, this is an individual, volunteer effort on my part. I do not have the luxury of layers of editorial review and revision. I take great effort to thoroughly research my subjects, fact-check, and to present findings fairly. Still, inadvertent errors may creep in. For those, let me offer my apologies in advance. Please let me know so I can address them promptly!

Oh, I should also mention - the Gaudeamus Igitur reflections operate in a somewhat different spirit. I trust all will find those more entertaining than challenging, but intriguing in their own right.

Finally, as far as my objectivity, there's an observation (I think it is by E.B. White. If you know who said it, please let me know) that captures my attitude: All writers have an angle, and some are even upright!

Please feel free to call me out if you find my posture slouching.

### 

Tips? Suggestions? Comments? Drop a line to: contact (at) ExeterUnafraid (dot) com

No comments:

Post a Comment